.

Monday, December 5, 2011

A Few of My Favorite [Christmas] Things

Hello again friends! Today, in the spirit of the holiday season, I wanted to show you some of my Christmas decorations around the house. There are a bajillion - it literally took me two full days to decorate and I dare you to find a surface in my house that Christmas has not touched - but I am going to limit to a few of my favorites.

I was super excited about the dining room this year. Almost everything on it is new- it's all stuff that I picked up on sale after Christmas was over last year. One of my favorite parts are the two vases full of Christmas-y ribbon. I got the ribbon a few years ago at Wal-mart and all they're already cut and curly so all you have to do is unravel them. They're sparkly too, and who doesn't love sparkle at Christmas?


I decided to go a little more simple on the buffet this year, and I'm loving my little manger scene. I just cut some garland with wire cutters and added some Spanish moss to make it look sort of like real hay. I used a big pedestal that I already had to put it all on.


I thought about not doing lit garland on the mantle this year, but then I realized I was kidding myself. I just love the effect of white lights on greenery way too much. One of the things I love on the mantle is my giant wreath I got last year. I added some poinsettias, pine cones, and bulbs by tying them on with fishing wire and then added the lights. LOVE.


I also made the "JOY" frame. I used red felt Christmas ribbon and cut out the letters with an exacto knife. I printed them off first for a guide. Then I just glued them onto some green scrap book paper. It was a little time intensive but I bet if I had a Silhouette it would have gone a lot faster ;) <--just in case the Beeb is reading.

Oh and of course the other important piece of the mantle- you can't forget the kitties.


I know I promised not to talk too much about cats, but just look at this cuteness next to me as I post. How can I resist?


That's Su by the way. She is the younger of the two cats (about a year and a half old) and is known for knocking ANYTHING that she is physically able to move with her paw off ANY surface.  But she's so cute and cuddly so I can usually find it in my heart to forgive her :)

I used the red felt ribbon from the "JOY" sign above for another project too- one of the smallest touches of Christmas in my house but seriously, one of my favorites. This is the statue thingy that Justin and I got in Cancun on our honeymoon. We were drawn to it since the physique of the statue people matches ours so well (ha).

I cut the felt ribbon and hot glued it into hat shapes and then hot glued some fuzzy ribbon on to make them Santa hats. LOVE them.


What are some of your favorite decorations? How do you take the every day things in your home and Christmasify them?

No comments:

Post a Comment